Sunday, March 6, 2011

COMING SOON to a Phone (or tablet) Near You

Summary
Why the growth of smart phones is so appealing to the hospitality industry.  Technology of wireless touch screens have been around for years but now everybody wants them.  This article talks about the three main reasons why these devises are taking off in the hospitality industry.  The number one reason is the highly appealing devices that the majority of people want to have with them at all times. These devices are both visually appealing and very easy to operate.  The second reason which is just as important is the software applications that the devices have. The software can exchange information with each other.  You now have the ability to accomplish several items in one handy device instead of having multiple devices.  These devices come with GPS capabilities out on the road, phones, cameras, etc. The other necessity to have all these capabilities on one device is the large amount of gigabytes these devices can hold and the bandwidth capabilities. These devices also have 3G capabilities which makes the devices fast enough to be useable. The applications that are available seem to be targeting travelers and to young adults which is why the hospitality industry is jumping on the bandwagon.
Reflection
I was skeptical of the devices at first coming from the baby boomer era.  I decided to purchase an iPad, 64G with 3G capabilities.  I absolutely love what I can do with it.  I have several apps geared toward the hospitality industry.  Right now I am just testing them but I would have never purchased an iPad but it is very friendly to use and I can use it anywhere.  Some of the apps that I have which are related to the hospitality industry is: TripAdvisor, OpenTable and HotelPal.  HotelPal lets you see all the hotels in the area, the cost of the room and the features of each hotel.  You can make a reservation right from the app.  OpenTable allows you to see when tables are open at a restaurant and make a reservation without ever having to pick up your phone or find one in the area.  TripAdvisor allows you to find hotels, restaurants, flights and things to do in the area all in one handy app. People spent hundreds of dollars for GPS systems and now you can get the google GPS system for free.  The iPad is big enough where I can see it without my glasses on.  Now that I have an iPad I am now thinking of giving up my old cell phone to purchase a smart phone.
Inge, J. (2010, Fall). COMING SOON to a Phone (or Tablet) Near You. Retrieved March 6, 2011, from Hospitality Upgrade: http://hospitalityupgrade.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vhu10/i3/p12

No comments:

Post a Comment