Summary
This article talks about the cost to keep up with maintaining the network, faster speeds and increased bandwidth usage for the guests. Hotels for the most part offer free internet service, they did so at the beginning of the internet because the cost was low. Now that the cost is much higher it might be necessary for hotels to charge for internet usage to cover the increasing cost of the network. Many guests are addicted to having internet and the internet must be fast. The hotel industry owners and managers are torn between whether they should charge for internet or not charge for internet. The article offers a tier option for hotel guests. If you want the increased speed then you will need to pay for the service. The slower connections are either free or for a small fee. The faster connections are will cost slightly higher. Almost all hotel owners and managers thought that once they put in a network that was it. They did not realize there would be constant upgrade costs for software and hardware. The more bandwidth and speed that is required to make the guest happy, the more the cost to upgrade the network.
Reflection
When I read the first part of the article I did not agree with the thought of charging for internet service. Free internet access is a selling point for hotels. I personally would not stay at a hotel it if did not offer wireless whether it was free or you had to purchase the service for a minimal amount. Then as I read farther into the article I began to understand the point of view of the author. Charging for the internet might be a good not only for the customer but also for the hotel. Many hotels now a days charge for parking, then there are some hotels that also offer you valet service which would be on the same lines as the tier system that the author is talking about. I definitely would be one of the guests that would pay for internet access but if the hotel is going to charge for it, it better be fast without any downtime or connection loss. I can also see guests getting very upset if the hotel does charge for the service but instead of using the revenue to keep the network running smooth and fast but instead use it for something else the guest will complain.
Warner, T. (2011, March 31). Guest Internet: Break the Trend, Sell Guest Internet. Retrieved April 15, 2011, from Hospitality Upgrade: http://www.hospitalityupgrade.com/_magazine/magazine_Detail-ID-585-Guest-Internet:-Break-the-Trend,-Sell-Guest-Internet.asp
No comments:
Post a Comment